Dr. Prabhukumar K. M. (Senior Scientist)
Plant Systematics & Genetic Resources Division
Centre for Medicinal Plants Research
Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal
e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
M.Sc. (Botany), Ph.D. (Botany), PGDCA
Research Experience / Expertise
More than 9 years experience in the field of Angiosperm Taxonomy and Systematics. Specialized in the family Zingiberaceae. As a part of research, travelled and collected plants from almost all the deep forests of South and North East India. Experienced in Herbarium mounting and processing. Having one year experience as a visiting Botanist in Chaliyam Forest Department, Calicut for the identification and conservation of plants described in Hortus Malabaricus. Also worked as a visiting Scientist in Earth Trust Nilgiris (ETN), Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, Nilgiri, Tamil Nadu for identification and conservation of rare and threatened medicinal plants used by Nilgiri Tribals. Served as a resource person in ETN to create awareness in tribal people about the need of conservation of natural habitat. Selected as Fellow of Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (FIAT) and described 24 new taxa to science from India, rediscovered and reported many taxa for India. Reviewer of many International journals and author of more than 100 research publications including one book, covering various subjects such as new species, new varieties, rediscoveries, new records, variability studies, horticulture, mutation studies, ethno-botanical studies, RET plants, conservation etc. published by world renowned publishers like Current Science, Springer, Taylor & Francis, Elsevier, Pensoft, Phytotaxa etc.
- Received IAPT Award and free membership in the International Association for Plant Taxonomy (IAPT), Slovakia with the online access to the journal TAXON for best poster presentation in the 6th International Symposium on the Family Zingiberaceae of the year 2012.
- Received K. S. Manilal Award for the best paper in Floristics (Including new taxa / new reports) presented at the Annual Conference of the Indian Association for Angiosperm Taxonomy (IAAT) of the year 2012 held at Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Amravati.
- Received the Best Poster Award in the National Seminar on Emerging Trends in Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Utilization (NSBCS) organized by the Dept. of Botany, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore of the year 2014.
- Received Best Paper Presentation Award in the National Seminar on New Trends in Plant Diversity studies organized by the Dept. of Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta, Kerala during July 31, 2015 in thr combined work.
- Prabhukumar, K. M., V. S. Hareesh, V. Bhaskar, V. B. Sreekumar, T. K. Nirmesh and Indira Balachandran. 2015. Impatiens glabrata (Balsaminaceae) – A new species from southern Western Ghats, India. Phytotaxa 266 (1): 033–039.
- Prabhukumar K. M., A. Joe, & Indira Balachandran. 2016. Zingiber sabuanum sp. nov. (Zingiberaceae): a new species from Kerala, India. Phytotaxa 247 (1): 092–096.
- Prabhukumar K. M., M. Omalsree, V. S. Hareesh, V. Bhaskar, Nirmesh, T.K., Sreekumar, V. B. & Indira Balachandran. 2014. Two new taxa of Impatiens L. (Balsaminaceae) from Western Ghats of India. Phytotaxa 238(3): 255-264.
- Prabhukumar K. M., V. B. Sreekumar, Satheesh George and Indira Balachandran. 2015. Gymnostachyum warrieranum (Acanthaceae), a new species from Western Ghats of India with morphological and molecular data. Kew Bulletin. 70(3): 1-9.
- Prabhukumar, K. M., V. S. Hareesh, V. B. Sreekumar, T. K. Nirmesh and Indira Balachandran. 2015. Impatiens neo-modesta (Balsaminaceae)- A new species from Western Ghats, India. Webbia: Journal of Plant Taxonomy and Geography.70(2): 231-235.
- Prabhu Kumar K. M., V. S. Hareesh, Avinash A. Adsul, Indira Balachandran & Shrirang R. Yadav. 2014. A new species of Chlorophytum (Asparagaceae) from southern Western Ghats of India. Phytotaxa. 188 (5): 282–286.
- Prabhu Kumar K. M., V. S. Hareesh, T. K. Nirmesh, K. A. Anilkumar, V. B. Sreekumar and Indira Balachandran. 2015. On the identity and occurrence of Gnidia glauca var. sisparensis (Thymeleaceae) in India. Webbia: Journal of Plant Taxonomy & Geography. 69:1, 131-135.
- Prabhu Kumar, K. M., T. Sunilkumar, V. Sreeraj, Binu Thomas, Indira Balachandran and V.T. Antony. 2013. New species of the genus Premna L. (Lamiaceae*) from Western Ghats of India. Webbia: Journal of Plant Taxonomy and Geography. 68 (2): 127-131.
- Prabhukumar K. M., P. E. Sreejith, M. G. Prasad, T. K. Ahmedul Kabeer and Indira Balachandran. 2015. Rediscovery of presumed extinct Impatiens concinna Hook.f. (Balsaminaceae) from Western Ghats. Current Science. 1027-1028.
- Prabhukumar, K. M., Avinash A. Adsul, Jose Mathew & Indira Balachandran. 2016. Nomenclature notes on the status of Chlorophytum clivorum J.Mathew & K.V.George (Asparagaceae). Phytotaxa. 243 (2): 199-200.